Monday, March 19, 2012

somethings

Let's get this out of the way: yes, I fail at blogging. I know. Leave me alone.

There. Now.

A little while ago, someone said to me, "you knit so many things!" and my gut instinct was "I don't feel like I've knit anything lately". Which wasn't actually true, but once I sat down and looked at my finished objects since my last entry here, in late October, I kind of realised why:


Believe it or not, this Bunny Blanket Buddy is not for me. It (he, I should say, or her aunt will yell at me) belongs to a wee brown-eyed belle in Alaska who apparently greatly appreciates his ears. Great for nomming.



I finished the Ice Queen cowl! It's all pretty and shiny and reminds me of the night sky, and I gifted it to a friend as a Christmas/New Year's kind of thing.



This hat was meant to be for me. It's knit in Tosh Merino DK, and I designed it myself (for the very very first time ever), and it was meant for me, okay, but clearly my design skills aren't quite there yet because the stupid hat does not fit my stupid head. My sister, who has a smaller head than I do (and I could make jokes about why this is, here, but I won't) graciously took it off my hands after I complained that wearing it was giving me headaches. It was all very tragic. For me, not for her. She lucked out, if you ask me.



I kind of half-designed these - they're somewhat of a mix of this basic mitten construction, with this colourwork pattern, and they're made out of Knitpicks Chroma in Prism (with loooooong stretches of each colour taken out because otherwise each mitten would have been two colours and that would have been pointless) and black Drops Alpaca. They're highly fraternal, on purpose, and they belong to m'Abs, because she was spending seven weeks in Scandinavia in winter, okay, I had to make her mittens. Rainbow ones. It's what you do in such a situation.




Prairie Boots! I made a pair for me last winter (on one of which a button tragically broke a while back, and of course I don't have a spare, because I'm stupid) and kind of promised Abby a pair around the same time. I felt bad walking around the flat flaunting mine with her right there in the dead of winter, bootsless and freezing her toes off (I may be exaggerating slightly), so I made her a pair. And bought spare buttons to go with them, because while I may be stupid, I learn from my mistakes, yes I do.



I sent these back home with Abby. They're for Mama Sue, aka her mother, whose house socks had been slowly and tragically dying for quite some time, and besides that were pink and probably acrylic to boot. They're based on this pattern and knit in Drops Eskimo, which is highly satisfying as you can churn out a pair of socks in about four hours flat. Pompoms and all. Whilst watching Inception and keeping up with the storyline. I know. Impressive.

Looking at that, that's not nothing. That's actually six finished somethings in about three months; that's pretty good. However, the problem with these six finished somethings? None of them are for me. Only one of them is in the same country as I am. I have finished six somethings and am left with no somethings!

Clearly, there was only one solution.


This is Daylily, knit in Tosh Merino DK in Terra. While it's not quite a finished something yet, here are some things that it is:

- pretty and shiny
- smooshy soft
- all flame-like thanks to the yarn and pattern combo
- mine
- all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment