Monday, July 20, 2009

Knitting backwards

In my last (first!) entry I mentioned how I'm working on a pair of socks, and I just got to the heel flap of the first one. Now, heel flaps are kind of boring, as it were; so I thought I'd make it a bit more interesting and practice something new while at it.

So, my latest endeavour is to learn to knit backwards. (Knitty has a really good tutorial here for those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept.) Being a continental knitter, I throw with my right hand when knitting backwards, and surprisingly... it's going pretty well. By well I mean it still takes twice as long as it does when I purl, but hey, that's to be expected. I'm finding a LOT easier than I found throwing the "normal" way when I've tried... even if I do keep stabbing myself in the pad of my index finger a bit.

Now all that remains to be seen is whether I can learn how to k2tog and all that fun stuff backwards, and if so, hello never purling again unless doing ribbing! That does sound rather appealing, I must say.

(Oh, and sort of unrelated? Turning a heel is still like magic to me. Ah, the simple joys in life..!)

No comments:

Post a Comment